We Are The Children Of The Rehoboth Congregational Church {Stole}

Children’s Sunday was this past Sunday at RCC and I was wearing a new stole …

425309_582187485136465_1041473548_n

This stole was simultaneously my brainchild and my nemesis.  It was WAY more work than I originally anticipated.  Those little hands took forever to cut out!  But it was totally worth it!

IMG_0794 IMG_0795

All of the children enrolled in our Church School traced their hands and we cut them out of fabric.  The colors represent the different classes:

Red: Nursery
Orange: Pre-K – 1st Grade
Yellow: 2nd-3rd Grade
Green: 4th, 5th & 6th Grade
Blue: 7th Grade
Purple: 8th Grade

My original plan was to put all of the hands on the stole.  Then I started cutting them out and realized just how MANY there were.  What an amazing problem to have!

Jon suggested I use the extra hands to make a paraments set.  I told him I loved the idea, but I didn’t really have enough time.  I was telling my friend Cheryl about his and she agreed that I definitely didn’t have the time …

… but thought it would look wicked cool.

She was right.

IMG_0787 IMG_0788

And that’s how I delved into my first attempt at parament making.

We took the pulpit down for the service, so I made paraments for the lecturn and an altar cloth.

IMG_0790 IMG_0791 IMG_0793

I even did some of the machine sewing on this myself!  I definitely still needed a lot of help and it is nowhere NEAR perfect, but I am so glad I did it.  The different pieces of this really tied the whole service together.

Just a note – Betsy usually does a satin stitch around the applique pieces (it really makes it look nice, but it also adds another layer of protection on the pieces), but we did NOT do that this time.  Toooooo many pieces – we would still be sewing!  I did, however, by the heavier-duty iron-on stuff, so we’ll see how this works long-term.  I’ll let you know!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>