I helped some of the pastors involved in Homeless Awareness Weekend plan this year’s Friday night service – what a wonderful experience it was! I am so used to traditional worship in the RCC sanctuary that it was fun to work with other styles and spaces. A HUGE shout-out to the youth praise band at Evangelical Covenant Church for leading worship. The band was comprised of ALL youth. ALL YOUTH. No adults – and they sounded amazing!
I did a very simple installation for the service …
Here were the pieces of this altarscape …
- White fabric to represent Christ
- Red fabric to represent the Holy Spirit
- Pieces of broken glass to represent our brokenness
- Sand to represent creation and the circle of our life here on earth
- A candle shining through a canister representing the ways our lights shine through open spaces
This was certainly an example of how you do not need a lot to create something visual and meaningful. It doesn’t make or break a service (it would have been amazing regardless – the Spirit was moving!), but it does add a nice touch.